Reproductive Justice is the human right to maintain personal bodily autonomy, have children, not have children, and parent the children we have in safe and sustainable communities. Reproductive Justice will be achieved when all people have the social, political, and economic power and resources to make healthy decisions about their gender, bodies, sexuality, and families for themselves and their communities.
About the SAJ Reproductive Justice Action Group
The SAJ Reproductive Justice Action Group engages in education, advocacy, and action around reproductive justice. This past year, our group has sponsored three educational events (including hosting Miriam Yeung, advocate and former Executive Director of the National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum (NAPAWF) to speak during services), participated in the Planned Parenthood NYC (PPNYC) lobby day in Albany and organized a collaboration with Einstein Medical Students for Choice in which we volunteer as patient escorts at an abortion clinic in the Bronx one Saturday each month.
We invite you to volunteer as a patient escort. The below are Saturdays that that SAJ will send 4-6 escorts to Bronx Abortion (2070 Eastchester):
- September 14, 2019
- October 26
- November 16
- December 7
- February 1, 2020
- March 21
- April 18
- May 16
- June 6
Reproductive Justice Co-chairs Sarit Golub and Amy Yenkin will alternate accompanying the group. They will coordinate transportation, leaving the Upper West Side at 6:15 am and arriving back to SAJ between 10-10:30 am. Training will be provided beforehand as well as on-site. Please email Sarit (email@example.com) and Amy (firstname.lastname@example.org) to sign-up or if you have questions.
Learn more about Reproductive Justice
Find out more about Reproductive Justice, and then lend your voice to help educate others both within and outside our community.
- Sister Song: https://www.sistersong.net/reproductive-justice/
- National Women’s Law Center: https://nwlc.org/issue/reproductive-justice/
- Forward Together: https://forwardtogether.org/reproductive-justice-media-guide/
- DOH Sexual and Reproductive Justice Community Engagement Group Resource List: https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/ms/srj-resource-list.pdf
- Reproductive Justice: An Introduction, by Loretta Ross & Rickie Solinger (2017; University of California Press). This book is a primer written by two legendary scholar-activists that is designed to provide a comprehensive yet succinct description of the field.
- Reproductive Justice Briefing Book: A Primer on Reproductive Justice and Social Change, produced by Berkeley Law School. This is a collection of articles from different leaders in the field, explaining the issues. You can download the full PDF here
- NYC Department of Health (DOH) as created a 4 minute video as part of their Sexual and Reproductive Justice Working Group
- If you have more time, NYC DOH also posted a 60 minute Reproductive Justice and Public Health Webinar, featuring Monica Simpson, Executive Director of Sister Song.